Chief Executive Officer, Secretariat for National Aboriginal and Islander Child Care (SNAICC – National Voice for our Children)
Richard is a descendant of the Meriam people of the Torres Strait. He has worked in Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander affairs for 25 years in a range of government and non-government roles. His most significant roles have come in the last 20 years as Chief Executive Officer at:
- Maari Ma Health (Murdi Paaki Region, Far West NSW 2000 – 2009)
- The Healing Foundation (Canberra, 2010-2019)
His current CEO role is with Secretariat for National Aboriginal and Islander Child Care (SNAICC – National Voice for our Children), based in Melbourne, Vic. SNAICC is known for its influential policy work aimed at improving outcomes for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander children, its training and sector development resources and its leadership on National Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Children’s Day and the bi-annual SNAICC Conferences (arguably the largest national Indigenous Conference in Australia).
Other current roles:
- Richard is a Board member of Families Australia
- One of SNAICC’s representatives on the Coalition of Peaks negotiating a partnership Agreement with the Australian Government
- Co-Chair of the Family Matters Campaign (to address the over-representation of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander children in Out of Home Care across Australia)
- Has been appointed by Minister Wyatt to the National Co-Design Group which will lead the co-design process for a national Indigenous voice and advise the Government on preferred options for a voice to Parliament
- SNAICC rep on Early Childhood Education and Care Reference Group (Australian Department of Education).
Back to Presenters page